The Alaska Zoo is a big success. We're able to see animals that just aren't in other zoos. Before we arrive, we figure three hours to walk around. We end up spending the entire day here.
I don't think Theo will ever want to go home.
I'm a big fan of wolves. I can't explain why. In Yellowstone years ago I heard them howl. I often visit a wolf sanctuary in western New Jersey started by a wildlife photographer. You can see them rather clearly there. In Yellowstone you rarely see them except through high powered binoculars. In this zoo, they are a few feet away, which is a real treat.
Magnificent. Four subspecies of wolves exist in Alaska. Most adult wolves weigh 85 to 115 pounds. They reach adult size by one year old.
Theo watches from a distance. I point out that seeing a wolf this close is a kind of miracle. If Theo could snort, he would.
We move on to an animal I've never seen in another zoo. The lynx. They are part of the cat family (lions, snow leopards, etc.) but the distinctive horns on the top of their head give them an unusual look. The lynx can live up to twenty years in captivity. They weigh 30 to 40 pounds and they eat snowshoe hare. Lynx have been known to travel over 400 miles to reach their preferred food. The lynx are endangered in most the United States but their populations are stable in Alaska.
Theo, recognizing a kindred spirit, raises one of his paws in a kind of salute, but the lynx will have nothing to do with him.
On to the short eared owl. We stand outside the fence trying to see him. He is well hidden in the bushes and plants. Finally Theo spots him, but no matter what we say, he won't come out.
"Maybe he's shy," I tell Theo, but I couldn't be more wrong.
Like most cats, once Theo sees what he wants to see, he won't be deterred. As he stares, we talk and share some extraordinary facts about this owl.
Their life span in captivity is fifteen years. They weigh less than a pound but their wingspan is between 38 and 44 inches, which means they can fly 15 to 20 miles an hour.
The greatest danger to owls are humans who shoot them or hit them with cars. Short eared owls are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act which makes it illegal to harm or kill the owls.
What is most interesting is how one owl will court another owl. They will fly up to 1500 feet in the air and then dive at high speeds. They also sing, clap their wings, and motion erratically with their wings.
Pure showoffs.
Finally, we're standing in front of two ravens. A raven can live 30 years in captivity. They weigh less than 3 pounds and are part of the crow family. Ravens are also in danger from humans who shoot, trap, poison or hit them by cars. They're also protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.
Ravens have been revered for centuries. Alaska's Native people saw the raven as the creator of the world and the bringer of daylight. Tibetans believed ravens were the messengers from the Supreme Being. The Irish thought ravens were all seeing and all knowing.
They are highly intelligent birds who will hide their food and store surplus supplies and can even remember where other ravens hide their food and return to raid those sites. Ravens have over 30 distinct calls and can mimic other birds.
Ravens like to play. They harass wolves and steal their prey. They've been known to lead hawks to their prey and then chase the hawks away and eat the kill themselves.
Ravens mate for life but if a mate dies, they will move onto another raven. Ravens have been found at high altitudes, even on top of Mount McKinley.
I know of ravens from Edgar Allen Poe . . . quote the raven "Nevermore."
I share all of these tidbits with Theo, but frankly a bird is a bird is a bird. He's interested. I warn him. "Don't mess with a raven. You're not going to win."
As we're walking towards the exit, Theo is moving slower and slower. Dan finally picks him up. "Can't stay here forever," he says.
Theo meows. Our gangster cat had a very good day!






No comments:
Post a Comment
Chuck would love to hear from you. All comments are welcome.