The Inspiration Behind the Blog

I was born to be a writer. When I published my first novel Wild Point Island, my orange and white rescued feral tabby Chuck decided he wanted to travel and see the island for himself. Chuck's desire to travel inspired me to begin the blog and take Chuck with me whenever I traveled, which I do frequently. This was not an easy task. First, I had to deflate the poor kid of all air, stuff him in my carry-on bag, remember to bring my portable pump, and when I arrive, I pump him back up. Ouch. He got used to it and always was ready to pull out his passport and go. Now it's Theo's turn. Smart. Curious. And, yes, another rascal.

Monday, October 5, 2026

Theo Visits the Andalusian Gardens

 Theo isn't shy about where he wants to and doesn't want to go. Anyplace with street cats is, of course, his preferred destination. When we mention the famous Andalusian Gardens, he hesitates.

"Okay, there might be some street cats there." I don't say the other half of the statement-there might not be some street cats there.

The Andalusian Gardens in Rabat, Morocco, is where you want to go if you're looking for a peaceful green space tucked inside historic fortress walls of the Casbah of the Udayas. The French laid out the garden in 1915 to mimic the traditional Andalusian and Islamic garden layouts from southern Spain. Lemon trees, sweet smelling orange trees, jasmine, and bougainvillea perfume the air. The walkways are shaded, interspersed with marble fountains.

































Yes, there are street cats. Well, these particular fur babies are considered residents of the gardens so here is yet another option for Theo. 

"Do you want to live here?" I ask him, when he spots a black cat lurking amidst the plants.


Theo actually considers the possibility. We have been many places together but I guess the allure of so many other cats living in one place so peacefully is getting to him.

My heart is in my throat. He has to meow no, I think to myself.

He rubs against my leg. That's his answer. He's mine and I'm his. Even the beautiful and mystical Andalusian Garden is not enough to lure him away. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Chuck would love to hear from you. All comments are welcome.